This position is open until filled.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska seeks an Organizer in the Mat-Su Borough to work on queer and trans justice issues. We are looking for someone who is community-oriented, mission-driven, and committed to advancing the civil rights and liberties of the people of Alaska. This position will build the strength of our LGBTQIA2S+ advocacy work in the Mat-Su Valley region by focusing on community engagement and action and will work closely with the Queer and Trans Justice Program Manager to execute project goals. The Mat-Su Organizer position is funded through the end of 2024 and will report to the Queer and Trans Justice Program Manager.
- Coordinate community action in response to attacks on LGBTQIA2S+ Rights
- Monitor policy developments in the Mat-Su; attend and tune in to public meetings as needed.
- Connect with local advocacy groups and key volunteers.
- Organize routine Mat-Su Action Nights that provide strategic opportunities to take action, gain skills, and connect with other advocates.
- Communicate with volunteers and supporters through emails, action alerts and text banks.
- Recruit attendees from existing and potential volunteer base.
- Coordinate event logistics.
- Identify spokespeople and support them in engaging in advocacy through testimony and storytelling.
- Support non-partisan GOTV efforts in the Mat-Su.
- Conduct community outreach
- Attend events hosted by community partners as opportunities arise.
- Table at events designated in the ACLU of Alaska’s Community Engagement Plan.
- Collect and process feedback from local advocates & impacted populations to inform strategic goals and objectives for the campaign.
- Support community education initiatives and programs regarding LGBTQIA2S+ issues.
- Facilitate events that elevate queer joy and build community connection
- Recruit new volunteers and guide them into fulfilling roles
- Build and maintain relationships with current volunteers
- Measure project success
- Manage and track data in the VAN
- Track and assess project goals and outcomes in collaboration with Queer and Trans Justice Program Manager
Work accommodations during the COVID-19 Pandemic
To ensure the safety of our employees, the ACLU of Alaska has implemented a hybrid return to work policy that relies on guidance from the CDC. When in the office, it is mandatory to have a vaccination record on file or request a medical or religious exemption.
This is an exempt, full-time, at-will position. Salary is $55,000 and includes excellent benefits, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, a 401(k) plan with an employer-match, and generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave. The position requires the ability to travel within the Mat-Su Valley and Anchorage, and the ACLU of Alaska reimburses for mileage based on federal rates.
Commitment To Equity, Diversity, Belonging, and Inclusion
The ACLU of Alaska is an equitable opportunity employer. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission by creating an environment where all community members can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified persons, including people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and members of other underrepresented groups.
The ACLU of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment that practices equitable and inclusive treatment. We work diligently to prevent and address harassment or discrimination of any kind.
This position is open until filled. Please email PDFs of your letter of interest, résumé, and the names and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com with the subject “Mat-Su Organizer.”