The American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska seeks a Communications Director who is dynamic, mission-driven, and committed to advancing the civil rights and liberties of the people of Alaska. The Communications Director will be responsible for directing and managing a robust and impactful communications program and will have a track record of visionary, innovative, and collaborative experience. The Communications Director will serve as a member of the ACLU of Alaska’s senior leadership team.
- Direct, manage, and supervise the ACLU of Alaska Communications Department.
- Develop and implement an annual communications plan and strategies.
- Create and manage the budget for the Communications Department.
- Onboard and train staff and board in communications.
- Manage all media relations, including earned, social, and paid media.
- Create and manage original content including press releases, newsletters, mailers, legislative content, and other items as needed.
- Solicit and manage contracts with outside companies creating external communications materials for the ACLU of Alaska.
- Manage ACLU of Alaska branding and merchandising.
- Identify, develop, and implement systems to track and report communications analytics and grow reach.
- Work across ACLU of Alaska departments to build and support our integrated advocacy approach to social change and justice.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills and competencies:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Proven experience creating and managing department budgets, mentoring. and supervising staff and volunteers;
- Dedication to social justice work, cultural competency to work with a diverse team, and experience with and commitment to the transformative work of challenging systems of oppression, institutional and structural racism, and implicit bias;
- Ability to work with diverse community groups in service and leadership roles;
- A track record of leadership through strong communication, collaboration, and relationship-building;
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and speaking skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely and to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences;
- A strong passion for the ACLU’s mission and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging;
- Ability to work with a team demonstrating flexibility, humor, honesty, and open-mindedness;
- Willingness to work irregular hours as needed, along with occasional travel within Alaska.
Work accommodations since the COVID-19 Pandemic
To ensure the safety of our employees, the ACLU of Alaska has implemented a hybrid return to work policy that relies on guidance from the CDC. When in the office, it is mandatory to have a vaccination record on file or request a medical or religious exemption. We may be able to accommodate remote work for a candidate not based in Anchorage, AK.
This is an exempt, full-time, at-will position. Salary is between $65,000-80,000 depending on experience and includes excellent benefits, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, a 401(k) plan with an employer-match, and generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Commitment To Equity, Diversity, Belonging, and Inclusion
The ACLU of Alaska is an equitable opportunity employer. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission by creating an environment where all community members can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified persons, including people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other members of underrepresented groups.
The ACLU of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment that practices equitable and inclusive treatment. We work diligently to prevent and address harassment or discrimination of any kind.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and will be accepted until March 26, 2023. Please email PDFs of your letter of interest, résumé, a professional writing sample (for example a press release or similar communications document), and the names and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Communications Director.”